My research aims to understand how autistic people experience social belonging and connections, and how these may protect against mental health problems and thoughts of ending life. I work within the MH Autism group led by Dr Sarah Cassidy. My supervisory team also consist of Professor Jacqui Rodgers, University of Newcastle, Dr Ashley Robertson, University of Glasgow, Dr Hayley Crawford, University of Warwick and Dr Kim Bul, Coventry University. We have collaborated with Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, Autism Research Centre, University of Cambridge in our recent publications.
In 2020 I was awarded the prestigious PsyPAG Rising Researcher Award. Read about it here.
Here are my academic publications:
- Pelton, M., Crawford, H., Robertson, A.E., Rodgers, J., Baron-Cohen, S., & Cassidy, S. (2020). A measurement invariance analysis of the Interpersonal Needs Questionnaire and Acquired Capability for Suicide Scale in autistic and non-autistic adults. Autism in Adulthood, doi:10.1089/aut.2019.0055
- Pelton, M., Crawford, H., Robertson, A. E., Rodgers, J., Baron-Cohen, S., & Cassidy, S. (2020). Understanding suicide risk in autistic adults: Comparing the interpersonal theory of suicide in autistic and non-autistic samples.Journal for Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1-18.
- Cassidy, S. A., Gould, K., Townsend, E., Pelton, M., Robertson, A. E., & Rodgers, J. (2019). Is camouflaging autistic traits associated with suicidal thoughts and behaviours? expanding the interpersonal psychological theory of suicide in an undergraduate student sample.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1-11.
- Pelton, M. K., & Cassidy, S. A. (2017). Are autistic traits associated with suicidality? A test of the interpersonal-psychological theory of suicide in a non-clinical young adult sample.Autism Research, 10(11), 1891-1904. doi:10.1002/aur.1828
Click here to read a blog that I wrote for World Suicide Prevention Day 2019.
I also collaborate with Dr Katie Chisholm at Aston University to understand the overlap between autism and psychotic spectrum disorders:
- Chisholm, K., Pelton, M., Duncan, N., Kidd, K., Wardenaar, K. J., Upthegrove, R., Broome, M., Lin, A., Wood, S. J. (2019). A cross-sectional examination of the clinical significance of autistic traits in individuals experiencing a first episode of psychosis.Psychiatry Research, 112623.
- Upthegrove, R., Abu-Akel, A., Chisholm, K., Lin, A., Zahid, S., Pelton, M., Apperley, I., Hansen, P., Wood, S. J. (2018). Autism and psychosis: Clinical implications for depression and suicide.Schizophrenia Research, 195, 80-85. doi:10.1016/j.schres.2017.08.028